About Me

My photo
I believe a bio should be about the essence of your being and not what you have done or about what you are about to do. I am a multi-tasker as if that were a proper verb. At any given time I am reading several books at the same time and I tend to fill my plate with so many projects that it astounds me when I list them. About a decade ago I had a psychologist tell me I was the worst kind of bipolar. What? Had I misbehaved? “No,” she said. Rather than being manic-depressive, I am manic-manic which is apparently difficult to treat because I like it. As you might surmise, I am always a bit manic, but, I assure you, I can be uncontrollably manic. I can be difficult. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. I am high maintenance. Thank God my wife is so tolerant and strong. If it were not for her, I would not be here. And so I write. I write everything.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday September 24th 2010 - Spam, scams, and viruses article

Examiner article by Christopher Sharits 9-24-10

Defend yourself against computer viruses and online scam artists





Right now there are thousands of online predators sitting in dark damp basements just waiting to ambush you and your computer’s hard drive. They come to your home and work through email or offers that really are too good to be true.
Whether it’s a suspicious email or a promotional website or even a quick talking phone solicitor, you can learn some simple and easy ways to identify and repel the onslaught of threats from The University of Denver’s Technology Services'Network Security website -http://www.du.edu/uts/security/ .
This vital website will teach you how to protect your system against viruses, spam, and scams. And, when you think you’ve got it all learned, they have an online interactive “Security Self-Evaluation Quiz.”
DU’s threat risk website will give you the information you need to understand the threat, but usually a quick Google search will supply you with a plethora of websites and blogs broadcasting SCAM! A helpful tip is to run a search on the company or offer while you are on the still on the phone with them or before you explore their get rich quick scheme.
Take some time to learn about current scams like the ever popular and constantly morphing “Nigerian scam” or the “Work from Home scam” that viciously lures our unemployed. Check out websites likesnoops.com or scam.com. Subscribe toscambusters.org for free email updates on the latest scams and frequent the Consumer Affairs’ scam alerts.
Knowledge is power. Surf the internet with confidence and security. A little investment in time on the internet can save you from the determined thief.
Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles by Christopher Sharits are available. Just click on the “Subscribe” button to the right of the byline.

No comments:

Post a Comment