About Me

My photo
I believe a bio should be about the essence of your being and not what you have done or about what you are about to do. I am a multi-tasker as if that were a proper verb. At any given time I am reading several books at the same time and I tend to fill my plate with so many projects that it astounds me when I list them. About a decade ago I had a psychologist tell me I was the worst kind of bipolar. What? Had I misbehaved? “No,” she said. Rather than being manic-depressive, I am manic-manic which is apparently difficult to treat because I like it. As you might surmise, I am always a bit manic, but, I assure you, I can be uncontrollably manic. I can be difficult. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. I am high maintenance. Thank God my wife is so tolerant and strong. If it were not for her, I would not be here. And so I write. I write everything.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Monday September 6th, 2010 - Colorado's Open Classrooms

Colorado’s Open Classrooms

Online learning is more than online classrooms. The advancement of the Internet has opened whole new worlds and learning opportunities so vast that it is hard to quantify. The world shrank and relatively overnight became one international classroom, but it also became a platform for local learning like Denver Public School’s High School Online to the Denver Seminary Online to virtually all of the regional and local institutions of higher learning. There is simply a cornucopia of online local opportunities, but the Internet can be far more.

 There is a method of homeschooling classified as “Unschooling” or “open classroom.” In Jefferson County, sixth graders have the opportunity to expand their learning at the Mount Evans Outdoor lab. The philosophy behind the open classroom is real hands on learning in the real world. Often the subjects being taught in the classroom or even online can be more effectively taught with the incorporation of the open classroom. Some subjects can become stale while sitting, but those same subjects can come alive and inspire great enthusiasm.

Through the utilization of the Internet, teachers can more effectively prepare students prior to visiting the mainstream educational institutions from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science to the Denver Art Museums to the Denver Botanic Gardens. In addition, teacher and students can use the Internet to locate the not so obvious open classroom opportunities like historic Colorado ghost towns or archeological digs at the four corners Crow Canyon or geology at the Argo Gold Mine and Mill in Idaho Springs. The Internet has opened a whole new way to search for Colorado’s best and least known open classroom opportunities so unplug and get out there to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment