About Me

My photo
I believe a bio should be about the essence of your being and not what you have done or about what you are about to do. I am a multi-tasker as if that were a proper verb. At any given time I am reading several books at the same time and I tend to fill my plate with so many projects that it astounds me when I list them. About a decade ago I had a psychologist tell me I was the worst kind of bipolar. What? Had I misbehaved? “No,” she said. Rather than being manic-depressive, I am manic-manic which is apparently difficult to treat because I like it. As you might surmise, I am always a bit manic, but, I assure you, I can be uncontrollably manic. I can be difficult. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. I am high maintenance. Thank God my wife is so tolerant and strong. If it were not for her, I would not be here. And so I write. I write everything.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saturday September 18th, 2010 - Firefighter Article for the Examiner


Today's Examiner article. Rest of day? Play

West Metro Fire Training Center is using online learning to keep you safe


The West Metro Fire Training Center in Lakewood, off of highway 285 and Kipling, is using hands-on as well as online training to prepare our firefighters for the routine call to the very worst emergencies.
It may be the worst day of your life. Whether it is a life threatening or life altering accident or fire, even in our darkest hour, we breathe a sigh relief when we see that fire truck with all of its lights blazing and men and women wearing their protective coats and hard hats round the corner. We trust our firefighters to be well trained and prepared for any emergency that may happen.
On any given day when you pass by the Lakewood training facility you can see firefighters boldly trekking their heavy equipment up the six story training tower or using the Jaws of Life on destroyed vehicles. This training center offers firefighters practical training from tower repelling, rock climbing, office and apartment rescue, to rescue crews and their dogs searching for victims in fallen rubble.
In addition to the practical training, the center boosts state-of-the-art 21st century training classrooms equip with video and computer online training. Students and experienced firefighters can complete online introductory classes to recertification classes online from the governmentFEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) to the National Fire Academy (NFA) to emergency training service companies likeTrainingDivision.com.
The training center also facilitates video conferencing from its outlying fire stations. Firefighters can participate and view interactive classes, lectures, and videos from their stations online, thus, increasing efficiency and productivity without removing them from their assigned stations.
The West Metro Fire Training Center expands the traditional on-site training paradigm to the flexibility and individualization of self directed online learning. Through the utilization of modern technology and good old hands on learning, our firefighters remain trained and prepared to protect and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment